Tuesday, January 5, 2010

In The Brighton Public Library

Here I sit, trying to upload video files to my hateful MLP program for my certification program. The file is a small one, but I have been rebuffed in trying to upload it twice now. Something tells me that it may be too big and that I may have to burn it on a DVD and submit it by mail. What a tremendous pain in the ass...something is slightly screwy here anyway, as I can't access my district email account directly either...Of course, if my troglodyte parents would just install internet at their house, I wouldn't be running all over the county trying to find wi-fi...bitch, bitch, bitch...

I have been in the Greater Detroit metroplex for a couple of days now. I had a lovely drive to the airport yesterday that illustrated in beautiful detail the inadequacy of civilization against the vagaries of nature. There was less than an inch of snow that actually fell in the area, but traffic was hopelessly snarled. A one-hour drive to the airport became doubled in length. The roads by my parents' house were covered with ice. The local government authorities have declared poverty and have announced that the roads will remain unsalted for the remainder of the winter. Of course, this being the Motor City (a soon-to-be-antiquated label), there are absolutely no alternate means of travel. The automobile is still the undisputed king here. Far-flung suburbs, only cars for travel, and untreated icy roads: we have the precise demonstration of the term SNAFU. What a god-awful mess.

On the fun side, I am getting to see most of the members of my family on this trip, and that seems to be a good thing on the whole. I guess that maybe it was ok to make the trip after all, although it is still proving to be pretty pricey. As much of the tribe as lives in the area and is not working at the time is scheduled to gather at one of my sisters' house tomorrow night. For this evening, I have dinner with another of my sisters scheduled in the football Mecca of Ann Arbor. Of course, I hear that Mecca is not now what it once was...

I am currently scheduled to pick up the GF at the airport Thursday night and travel back to Cadillac, but there is some more inclement weather predicted for that time. Perhaps we will spend another night in this area. It's not exactly like living in hell...time to return to my appointed duties. I will try to take some educational and illustrative pictures in the next couple of days and post them here...

No comments:

Post a Comment