Saturday, February 20, 2010

Basketball!

Not a bad evening, overall...we started out the afternoon with a brief session, some meetings, and exhortation to do home visits that we had already done the previous evening. Even though we had our tasks accomplished, and were only going to begin the work of our second work day, we were sternly warned against being in the gym to do that work until our contract day was terminated. Perhaps it was an attempt to avoid the spectre of professionals contaminating the purely amateur/voluntary nature of working at the basketball tournament. Or, maybe control freak behavior. Hard to tell.

However, all went off pretty smoothly. The PKA girls lost their first game, and won the nightcap in a squeaker. (PKA is our FAA airport designation code.) I toted things around and helped out where I could lend a hand. One of the girls from another school got hurt and was in a fair amount of pain. I was part of the crew that got her onto a sled and over to the clinic. I think that she may have torn a muscle or perhaps her hamstring.

We got everything buttoned up and were home by 10:00 p.m. Pretty much minute-perfect to my fourteen hour day prediction. All the same, it was a labor of pleasure. It appears that it is still possible for our girls to play themselves into the district tournament tomorrow. I will keep my fingers crossed. And cheer.

By the way, I understand that congratulations are in order for the Cadillac Vikings hockey team, which has clinched at least a tie for the conference championship for the first time. I will specifically mention P.J. O'Hagan and Anthony Urse, two players of my immediate acquaintance. Again, nice job, guys, for the whole team. Hope that you do well in the upcoming tournaments...

And now, it's 1:21 a.m. and the melatonin is kicking in. The morning starts early. Time to go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment