Saturday, February 20, 2010

We're Back!

What a beautiful night for a run up and down the river. The clouds that had been around all day began to thin out, and we finally had a clear night for the trip back to Napas. We joined friends from Ocsarville (across the river about a mile) and Bethel at one of our favorite Korean/sushi restaurants for dinner and conversation. Traffic (!) was heavy on the river on the way up, with lines of headlights visible along the river highway in both directions.

Dinner was delightful and yummy. I had jap chae, and we split a specialty sushi dish. Much teacher/district gossip was exchanged, and I was approached about taking on the regional rep position for the union. I have tentatively decided to accept the invitation. Maybe a smart idea, or maybe not. I'm doing it anyway. I just sent the email agreeing to do it.

The trip back down was wonderful. Riding in the open air on a dark, starry night down the river is a sublime experience. I would love to figure out some way to show people, but I'm not sure how many I would be able to convince to come out here. Maybe next year. I want to see if someone else could see it the way I do.

A side note from church. There is a fellow that I see every time that I am there. He seems to take care of things around the church, although I do not exactly understand his position. We have not been since we got back, although someone made a New Year's resolution about this. He pattted me on the shoulder after the service and welcomed me back. He then smiled and invited me to come back again. Blows me away every time. White people have kind of come and gone with great haste aound here. I could understand skepticism. The openness, acceptance and invitation that I receive humbles me at every turn. Maybe I am a lifer...

No comments:

Post a Comment