Thursday, February 25, 2010

Dear Anonymous:

I have recently received a complaint. I do not know to whom I should respond. The poster has styled him or herself "anonymous." I put my name on what I write. I am told that I am "constantly" referring to "feral brats" and "snotty students." "Constant" is defined as "continual, unceasing, persistent." I have looked at all of my posts since I got here. I have not found one reference to a "feral brat." I have referenced behaviors, not children. I do not believe that behavior tells me who the kid is...

On the other hand, I have been kicked at, swung at, called a "fag," a "fucking fag," and a few other choice appellations. My fiance was called a "whore" by a student today. I do consider such behavior to be snotty. I don't believe that it typifies the behavior of students in this school. It is behavior that happens. I have had a number of parents apologize to me for their children's behavior. I have had parents talk to me who are clearly embarrassed by the behavior of the 7th and 8th grades as a whole. It is a tough group in this school.

That said, I do like most of my students. Even the ones who irritate me. That happens, and my job requires me to be a professional. But the fact of the matter is, I care about these kids. I want them to do well, and I want to contribute to that. I am sorry that you cannot see that in your reading, Anonymous. I would invite you to discuss the matter further. But please quote me accurately if you are going to do so. And please try to see the balance in what gets written here.

No comments:

Post a Comment