Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Good Day...

Busy, productive, positive. Ya gotta like that. Tried something a little different with my junior high kids. We are studying measurement, so I took them into the gym with a 100' tape line and tried to do measurements of the gym for NYO. Mixed results. Not as well as I might have hoped, but better than it could have been with that crowd. They are a little squirrelly, but some of them actually worked hard at the measurements. They got a bit of a lecture from some elders yesterday, but I think that the punch of the message had worn off somewhat by the afternoon. They were much more responsive this morning. I actually teach that big group with another teacher. We have spent the majority of the term so far trying various combinations to turn things around. It is a tough combination to find.

We actually split up the math class. I work with a lower phase of students, and she works with the other group. She was gone this afternoon for a funeral, and my occasional maqiq partner Andrew was her substitute. After an hour, he was solidly of the opinion that many parents need to be brought in to supervise and watch some of their children's behavior. I couldn't agree more. I need to make some phone calls, and the ASB might also want to take a look at the situation. I believe that community involvement and pressure on these kids is ultimately what is necessary.

On the young and hoody side, the day has thus far passed without incident. I do not believe that the Troopers have yet been here to take the young man in question into custody. It is time for the annual Permanent Fund distribution, and things in the villages tend to heat up around now. They are very busy, and with much nastier business, by the sound of things. His younger brother stirred some shit last night after wrestling practice, and was apparently shouting racial epithets at the coach, which got him kicked out of school for the day. He was out on the boardwalk today talking some crap about practice, and it being disrespectful to the village. I believe that he was trying to suggest this in light of the fact that Joe's sister's body has returned to the village. I don't actually know that to be the case yet. If it has, then practice will not take place. It was ironic to listen to this little pipsqueak talk about respect. I have never seen much from him.

My understanding is that Joe's sister will be buried tomorrow. We dismiss at 1:45. The funeral will run from about 2:00-4;30. I suspect that there will be a feast afterwards. I will probably go. Her niece is one of the kids who did their senior trip from my house a couple of years ago. I saw her this afternoon, and offered my condolences.

On a lighter note, I was just getting ready to do my prep time when someone came to tell me there was a phone call for me at the office. Yes, I was freaked out...I got there in a big, worried hurry. It turned out to be someone from payroll saying that a mistake had been made, and that $2100 too much would be deposited into my bank account tomorrow. Whew. These things I can deal with. I offered to write a check, but they apparently prefer to take it out of my November deposit. OK, then...

I have mentioned Howard, the student that I am trying to get done with junior high before the end of the semester. He passed another indicator today. Only two left. I called his very excited mother to tell her the news. It felt good.

No comments:

Post a Comment