Friday, October 2, 2009

Two Months...

I left the safety and comfort of Cadillac, Michigan two months ago today. It has been very interesting since then...what a roller coaster ride of thrills, spills, and adventure. It also seems like it has been longer. But I am glad that I did it. I cannot tell at this point whether I will become a good teacher, or whether I will even continue to be a teacher at all. The path is not one down which I can easily see. But it was a good idea to try.

My hunch bet after this week is that things will be ok. It was a really tough beginning, but seeing things through always seems like a good idea, even if it is painful (literally).

Got my first evaluation this afternoon. Generally positive, with some room for improvement identified. Pretty much what I expected. It was OK with me, and my boss and I sat around for 45 minutes afterwards just shooting the breeze.

Finished off the week with exactly what I needed, and am coming to love, a good, hot, Friday night maqiq. I got some good steam marks this week. Man, I do love some things up here. I just need to get better at dealing with the ones I'm not so crazy apart.

Ralph ( the fella who drowned) will be laid to rest Monday. I paid my respects to his widow yesterday. I will again.

2 comments:

  1. Ben,

    I think time will tell that you are a great teacher. I think you have the perfect mix of enjoying that age group and being a good teacher (mentor). When I heard you were going to do this, I thought you would be a perfect junior high/high school teacher. I am sure it is tougher than I can imagine, but I believe you will be very successful with these kids. As the years go by, I truly believe you will be a "hall of famer" teacher. I will be praying for you. Miss you. Keep up the good work. You are making an impact on lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben: I do not think your blog is too negative. I think you are being honest and analytical about your experiences. I hear the pride and sense of accomplishments coming through when something goes well and you make a connection with the students. I hear the frustration and doubts when things are not going as smoothly as one would hope. You are living your life and some days are good and some are not so good. But your blog is honest. And, after 2 months, I am still following it because I care and I am interested.

    Ella

    ReplyDelete