Wednesday, October 21, 2009

It Must Have Been Gossip Girl's Fault...

...because all of a sudden I wanted to hear some old Talking Heads again. Now here I sit, having downloaded Stop Making Sense (the sound track), ordered Stop Making Sense (the movie) and True Stories (the other movie), and, last, but certainly not least, downloaded the Byrne-Eno collaboration My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts (please note the subtitle of this blog-yes, it WAS the inspiration...). So, here I sit, rocking out to "Burning Down The House" and "Once In A Lifetime" (one of my all-time favorites, along with "Like A Rolling Stone" and "Born To Run").

The dishes are done and it's time to relax. Let me tell ya. Education is full of very earnest, caring, well-intentioned people, very few of whom can agree with one another about how it ought to be done. Sometimes the catfights would be funny, if they weren't so time consuming. Kinda like the joke about how opinions are like assholes...

I got an unusual, backhanded compliment from one of my most fractious, resistant students today. I will not disclose the details, or how I learned it. Suffice it to say that she told me that I am having an impact of some kind here. She does not even know that she did it. In many ways, it was probably the first positive reinforcement that has counted since I have gotten here. I was floating the rest of the day. I'm sure the air will leak out of my balloon eventually, but I am in no hurry at all for that to happen.

Same as it ever was...

No comments:

Post a Comment