Thursday, October 29, 2009

Interesting Day...

I'm tired, but happy. It wasn't a great day in every way (read: junior high), but I finally decided that if I was going to bother to do this thing, that I might be in the whole way. I have been playing too much of the Hamlet role, dithering instead of acting.

I feel pretty happy with the decision. In the junior high this morning, one girl that I think has one of those schoolgirl crushes asked me how long I am going to stay. I think that I may want to give her an answer. Today I just teased with her, but these kids see a lot of instability in their lives. Maybe it would be good to try to eliminate some of that.

Later on in the day, we were preparing for the Halloween carnival. Another of the junior high girls has attached herself to me, and was following me around, helping with preparations that we were making for the cake walk. I am the freshman class advisor. At some point, the subject of becoming suddenly rich came up. She began talking about some plan that she would have. I made a crack about retiring. I was not serious. Her face fell, and it took some convincing to get her to understand that I was joking. I was floored. Two conversations in one day in October.

No comments:

Post a Comment