Friday, November 6, 2009

...And I can't Be Trusted...

Interesting presentations so far today. We are supposed to make a two-minute long movie tomorrow. I guess that I will figure out all of this technical stuff between now and then, although I have been so distracted by the simple fact that I can make a slide show with iPhoto that actually has music and effects that I haven't gotten very far past it. I will have to be more conscientious tomorrow if I am to fulfill my promise as a budding filmmaker. It is interesting to think about using this stuff in the classroom and letting the kids take control of storytelling. There are good ones to be told out here.

I had lunch and dinner with many of the new teachers that I came into the district with this year. It is interesting to hear their stories of struggle and conflict, although the conflicts all seem more like minor annoyances. They all have had previous teaching experience, which tells me that even veterans find the conditions out here frustrating. It can be awfully hard to cope when I feel as if I am the only idiot on the island.

Tomorrow we will learn about storyboarding, which I will try to use to wean my kids away from the habit of going straight to the computer to write. Most of them are far too prone to start goofing around, leaving me to chase them around the room pulling them back on task. Now, the search for an affordable video camera begins...

I have gotten the shipping estimate for my spin bike. It wil cost $177 to ship it to Alaska. Not bad, really. I desperately need the exercise-might as well consolidate the gains (losses, to be more accurate) from my stress-induced weight loss. Make the best of the bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment