Saturday, November 21, 2009

Going Rouge?




Yes. I know. It is on purpose. No, it's not all that subtle. No, I don't care. Those of you who know and at least like me know that wiseass is what I like to do best. Whether I do it well or not is neither my decision to make nor my concern. The top picture is the shiny beast that takes us Betheling, in the parlance of one of my favorite co-workers' daughter. As for the bottom, well, the less said about that, the better. I did want to show that I have not lost my eye for coordinating my wardrobe. I was also looking for continuity with the tie-dye shot that I posted back in July.
We finished the big inservice today. It started with breakfast, cooked by our site administrator, who makes a reasonable omlette. Lots of yummy bacon, which did not bother my digestion for a change (a nice one-I love bacon). French toast. Coffee. MMMMM...a good way to start. We were reading and discussing a book on cognitive coaching. There were some really interesting subjects in the book and we had some pretty interesting conversations about it. The time went by pretty quickly.
After we got out at noon, we knocked together a quick shopping list and headed up the river to Bethel. Groceries first, and then off to a restaruant called V.I.P. for some sushi, tempura, and teriaki. It also has a fair number of Korean dishes, which makes sense, the place being owned by Koreans and all. Please do not ask me to explain the two main expatriate groups in BET (airport designation), the Ukranians, and the Koreans, and how they happened to wander down a river in Western Alaska and stay. I do not know. I do know that you can get pretty good oriental food here. After lunch/dinner and some football highlight watching, we went back down the river towards the setting sun, which illuminated the mountains off to the south beautifully. The skies have been insanely clear and sunny during the cold spell of the past several days. The sky has been beautiful, both during the day and the night. Sunrise is now at 10:05 am, and sunset is at 4:57. Just under seven hours of daylight. We have about a month left until the winter solstice.
Church is on tap for tonight, and I plan on spending some time at the school tomorrow, to do a little lesson planning, and do a quick meeting with our site administrator. It would have been fun to stay up in Bethel, as three of my students are wrestling for the district championship in their weight class. However, there is a blizzard warning up for later tonight, and wandering down a mile-wide, unlit river in a blizzard just seems like a crappy idea. I hope that the boys win. One of them is my buddy Joe's son.
I don't have to do a lot of lesson planning, because this is a very short week, with Thanksgiving coming up. Given the way things seem to be turning out, I feel as if I may have a lot to be thankful for...

1 comment:

  1. And how many layers are under the tye-dye??? In case you didn't make it back before the blizzard, you wanted to be seen, right.

    Thanks for posting the pictures.

    Ella

    ReplyDelete